Saturday, March 31, 2007

March 31, 2007

*sigh* Frustrations abound.

Every time I try to start seeds I learn something new. The first year I learned to start far more seeds than I ever plan to plant, because they will not all make it. I'm glad I've taken that lesson with me through the years, as this season has proved to be no different. I've lost at least one tomato seedling, a pumpkin of Gayle's, a cucumber plant and possibly three various squash.

This year I was so excited, although also a touch confused, at the massive length my seedlings have taken on - except the tomatoes which seem to have simply stopped growing. I repotted the larger plants, staked them, and watered them to keep the soil "moist, but not dripping" Some of the squash plants have started to develop their first true leaves, the cucumbers seem to be stationary in their growing efforts, and the tomato vines... well, as I said, they sprouted and haven't seemed to budge a bit.

I've discovered that the length of my plants is actually not a good thing. They are "leggy" due to lack of proper light, and now I'm afraid that all their growing efforts have gone into length to reach the sun instead of width to grow true leaves. The cotyledons (first leaves) are supposed to store food for the plant, then as it grows true leaves they shrivel up. Problem is, one of Gayle's pumpkins has already shriveled prior to getting true leaves, and as the squash plants develop their true leaves it seems to me the cotyledons are drying up too quickly. I have scooted my table to be directly in front of the window in the dining room to see if additional sunlight will help them out.

As to the stunted tomato plants... I've also discovered that peat pots will evaporate moisture off the sides, so I need to keep a closer eye on those and keep them "moist but not dripping" (does anyone know exactly what that means anyway?!?)

In the end, it's not a great loss. I love the idea of growing stuff from seeds and having the end plant be taller than I am, but if the seedlings don't make it to the garden, I can always buy plants at the nursary like I have done every year prior.

Photo Fun...now that my new spiffy scanner is up and running I can scan my slides from last year. Here are my neighbor's raspberries (eventually we'll have our own! but first we need the fence)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 comment:

smileymamaT said...

Somebody told me once that if tomato plants get leggy, to trim them down so they grow wide, but for your other plants, I don't know. Your tomatoes are short, so maybe that's good!
I wish I knew more!
T