Monday, March 12, 2007

March 12, 2007

As of today, nearly all my seed starts have sprouted! Woo hoo!

I decided to start 10 pods of each of the tomatoes, cucumbers and bush squash (the ones that look like white space ships) The tomato starts look really weeny compared to the others, but I have about 9 Brandywine and 9 Supersweets going. For the cucumbers, there are 9 very strong looking starts (yeah pickles!) The bush squash have 5 that have cleared the surface and this morning there are 3 more that are just coming up. I only started 5 zucchini and 5 tomatillos, because I only wanted one plant of each anyway. Of course, I have 5 perfectly happy zucchini starts and no tomatillos so far. Oh well, I wasn't sure they'd work well anyway.

Gayle started pumpkin seeds and flower seed a couple days after I started mine. Her flowers are sprouting wee little plants, but I didn't see anything from the pumpkins so I dug into the dirt on one a little just to check it out, and saw the beginnings of a root. Another pot shows signs of a full blown sprout breaking ground, so maybe in another day or two we'll have something.

I'm determined to get these plants to keep going this year... in years past I've planted seeds only to find that I'd overwatered them and they died as soon as they broke ground. This time around I'm using a mister and spraying them daily with water instead of pouring from a can, but pretty soon I'll need to scoot them from these little pods into larger containers.

According to the instructions I'm supposed to let them stay as they are for two weeks, then transplant them either into larger containers, or into the garden. I don't think the garden will be ready that soon, but I have room for larger containers on my project table, so I'll probably just move them into larger pots until we get past the last frost.

1 comment:

LJ said...

oh how i long for gardening! long ago I used to have a garden, when I was living in a nice (old dilapidated) white house and I was (un)happily married I remember the gorgeous garden we(I) kept in the back yard and all the things that were grown. I remember the Tomatoes, oh the wonderful glorious tomatoes! I'll live vicariously through your garden.