Monday, May 05, 2008

May 4, 2008

Upon further investigation of the path next to the house, I did find hoof prints towards the front of the yard, where I know I did not see the deer jump. The trail shows where he jumped from a lower part of the hill to the path. About 10 minutes prior to seeing our visitor at my rose bush I recall hearing what I *thought* was Dan coming home through the back door, but then he didn't walk in the door so I didn't think much of it. I realize now that it was likely the sounds of hooves on my deck that I was hearing.

I've moved some of the yard waste cans to block the path. I realize the deer can technically jump the cans easily, but I also placed my wood-carrier (metal "U" shaped) at a distance from the cans that would make jumping look like a bad idea.

Hopefully.

This is my 4th season in this house, and I finally have a real honest to goodness herb garden planted.

Angle One:


And from the other side:



I went a little crazy buying herbs today... some of them smelled just too good to pass up. When I arrived home with my new additions I walked past the fire pit and was surprised to see that some of the herbs I thought died out over the winter had actually come back. So, those are moved up to the beds as well.

I also learned today that dill is an annual, not a perennial... which explains why my dill never comes back. (One would think I would have noticed that little tidbit of information sooner *rolling eyes*)

I've also tempted fate by planting lettuce (that little row of leafy stuff where the dirt is turned over in the back bed)

The nursery doesn't have much in the way of summer veggies yet because of our extended cold weather... maybe next weekend!

Oh, and we were discussing the ugliness of the cinder blog garden bed edge, and how I am constantly battling the grass that wants to grow inside the blocks. We have thought about covering the tops with wood (which would look nice, but I think it would not last long, and attract bugs) and I've thought about just taking some of the larger rocks around the yard and covering over the tops (but Dan is convinced the grass will still grow from underneath) We've also thought about filling them with dirt and planting flowers all the way around, but I realized today that leaning over the wall to actually work in the garden part would be near impossible for me.

Today Dan suggested we just get capstones. I'm liking that idea.

4 comments:

Gino said...

dont know about an 8' fence. i seen them jump 5' fences from a standstill, or fly right over them while at a run.
captive breeding/research farms have 12' fences.

8' is a stretch for a deer just leisurly foraging around. they are lazy, and tend to prefer the path of least resistance, and wont likely make a real effortful jump just to browse a garden.

so much do they prefer the least resistance, while getting ready for the hunt season, i will mow/bush hog paths thru the tall grass leading them into my shooting lanes. they really do like a pathway.

you could always fill those bricks with ready mix, and round off the tops, giving it a neater, smoother appearance.

Jade said...

Their laziness is what we kind of count on. The folks at the grange pretty well say the same thing... technically they *can* jump 8 feet, but won't if they don't really have to.
On top of that, from what I understand they won't jump chain link because they can see through it, and think of it as thick bushes. I've seen this when they get trapped in the neighbor's yard, they won't try to jump the chain link, they will crash into it over and over, but not jump it... the neighbor used to have to chase them back out his gate and shut it behind them.
Since this incident I've seen hoofprints criss-crossing the dirt in the front of the house by the driveway... they've been wandering back and forth out front, but haven't come around to the back yet. I'm hoping their laziness will continue to be enough for them to walk up to the garbage cans, see the wood stack on the other side and think... hmm... green stuff behind me... I'll just go back to that stuff.

As to the stones... I thought about filling them in but Dan wants to keep the garden area somewhat mobile. He has a grand idea in his head of expanding the garden area by ripping up more lawn and creating a sitting area with a fire pit next to it. I'm all for garden expansion, so we are trying to not do anything to the cinderblocks that make them even harder to move.

smileymamaT said...

"that would make jumping look like a bad idea."...my favorite quote of the day.

Ever thought of filling them with gravel/small stones?

smileymamaT said...

oops scratch that. I just read about the keeping-it-mobile thing. OK, then, duct tape it is.