Monday, May 26, 2008

May 26

I wasn't expecting to work too much in the yard this weekend. The forecast kept saying "rain, rain, and more rain" and I interpreted that to mean that it would rain.

Silly me, believing those funny weather guys.

Saturday morning dawned dry, so we packed up and headed out to a giant nursery up in Snohomish. There I finally found some tomato plants, though they were not the plants I was looking for.

I wanted to do just cherry tomatoes this year, maybe romas, but that was it - it seems that anything larger just doesn't seem to ripen in my yard.

The nursery, though acres and acres in size, had no cherry tomato plants to be found. They did have romas, and something called Jullian - which look like romas only longer and thinner. I also picked up a yellow pear tomato plant (looks like they are pear shaped, and slightly larger than cherry) and a mystery plant labeled simply "yellow".

They also did not have any zucchini plants - yellow squash, but no zucchini.

Wha?!? Either they sold out, or the weather has just been so bad that the greenhouses aren't moving.

We made it back to the house about mid-afternoon, and still no rain... so I went to work in the back digging holes and removing the wild foxgloves from the garden beds.

Last year I put up these posts with the nylon lattice for the tomato plants and they tipped under the weight of the plants. This year I dug them into the ground further, and spread the plants further so hopefully we won't have a repeat of last year.

First, here is an update of the herb garden (freshly weeded - those forget-me-nots are prolific as hell) I added a few basil plants.



Here is the beginning of the Tomato Wall.



A couple of the plants were actually quite large to begin with, and I sprang for those to help get a jump start on my garden (since my growing season is so short) The two little squigilly guys are a couple of yellow squash plants. My lettuce is growing pretty well... it hasn't been eaten by critters yet, so I guess that's good, eh?

3 comments:

smileymamaT said...

a mystery plant named yellow... no cherry tomatoes to be found... it's like a Ray Bradbury novel, no?? heh heh I kid. I wonder what that plant will yield? I got two little tomato plants from Laura (thanks Laura!) and a big study one from the local Botanical Gardens (a dollar fifty, and two feet tall!) so I'm looking forward to planting them all and seeingn what comes up.

mommy to six J's said...

Looks like it is going to be just beautiful, Char

Jade said...

SMT - I know, I've decided I just have to take what I can get in the way of plants around here.

Thanks Char! We had actual Sunshine in the last week and the plants seem to have enjoyed it, so I'm hoping for another update sometime soon.