Thursday, April 26, 2007

To answer LauraJ - and seedlings!

To answer LauarJ's question in the comments a few days ago... the jean thing in the photo is a quilt, which I now use as a rug under the rocking chair because the chair makes scratches on my floor.
A couple years ago I used to frequent a sewing forum, and a couple times a year they have stash competitions of varying degrees. This was my entry for a recycling contest... I took about 10 pairs of old jeans and some flannel that I'd used as curtains in one of the places we lived, and made a ragtime quilt out of it. Silly me, I put batting in it too, so the combination of flannel, denim and a layer of batting makes this puppy really heavy. Here is a photo of it back when I'd first finished it, since the I've trimmed all the strings back so it looks a little nicer as a rug.


The seedlings that I planted back around the 14th are growling like crazy! Add to that, Gayle planted zucchini seeds at school, and they are huge as well. I'm realy hoping to keep her plants alive, she is very proud of them and is excited at the idea of getting food in our garden that she grew all by herself (even if she won't actually eat the food!) I still have 5 cucumber plants left from the first round of seed starting, although a couple of them are looking a little faint, and the tomato plants are still alive... some have grown a couple of whimpy little true leaves, but other than that they still seem so, so tiny. I may end up keeping them in pots outside near the house for a while, once it is warm enough to put them out, and buy plants for the bigger garden. We'll see. I know for the cherry tomato plants I had already planned on keeping a couple in hanging baskets on the deck (saw it in a greenhouse once, the vine cascades down like an ornamental plant... very cool!) so if I can keep these seedlings alive long enough, that's where they'll be.

1 comment:

smileymamaT said...

I never thought of that (the cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets..) interesting. I havn't started any seeds but think i'll just plant right into the ground, but I'll need to buy some tomato plants. Looking forward to that. I like the quilt-as-rug idea.