Saturday, April 14, 2007

April 14

So I made a bit of an impulse buy this week:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It was on sale and I figure since covering the tomato seedlings seems to have helped them (they perked up, and some even have true leaves coming in!) I figured a big plastic dome over everything might be a good idea. Technically it is supposed to be an outdoor greenhouse, but I couldn't figure out how this outside would keep the plants any warmer than they already were inside my house... particularly at night. So I put it together and stuck it in my front windows. Well, it looks better than that old folding card table did anyway. I also re-started a few squash seeds... I figure that I'm not getting my garden beds put together by mid-April anyway, so I might as well just start some more seeds and get them growing... maybe by the time they are ready to harden off I'll have a place to put them outside.

The frog eggs have landed, in massive quantity. I found a couple of terrarium type things at the store that have clasp on lids, so we can safely have some froggy friends grow without the danger of them crawling out of the bowl. (The first year we pulled tadpoles that happened - luckily I saw the little bugger up on the bowl and set him free outside immediately) After digging through the algae to find the egg sacks it became clear to me that I could no longer put off cleaning the pond, so that was my Main Accomplishment of The Day today. I'm happy to report that my pond is now sludge free, I have recovered my froggy statue that the raccoons plunked into the pond last winter, and the waterfall is in good working order, so perhaps the mosquitoes will stop laying eggs in my water! (And I did replace most of the egg sacks in the pond, save for the ones I pulled for Gayle's preschool class and for our own little watch-them-grow cage in the house)

Dan has been busy working on getting the new plants into the ground. Once he is done cleaning up the messes he has made (he likes to pile weeds on the sides of the beds and just leave them there for weeks at a time. Grr....) I'll get some pictures.

2 comments:

smileymamaT said...

Ooooohhhh....nice greenhouse...I planted a potato in a pot yesterday, but not sure if I did it right, guess we'll see! It's still too cold here to even see the backyard, as the snow is up to my thighs in some areas... it'll be a later-than-normal garden, I think!

LJ said...

okay the crafty person in me wants to know what that jean thing on the floors is??!!
lovely pics of the landscaping, waterfall is just beautiful. gorgeous house!