Friday, April 11, 2008

April 11

Alright! I *think* the snow in our area might be done for a while... though technically our last frost date is officially April 15... but anyway...

So first pic is of my blank garden beds. We cheated this year - due to time and weather restrictions - and hired a crew to come and do our spring yard clean up (basically pull the winter weeds and drop a lot of compost everywhere)

The landscapers pulled all the weeds, but left the foxgloves that started themselves in the beds. These will be moved to new homes.
The two pots have the extra raspberry plants... we really need to find a home for these.
Yeah... I know we need to mow the lawn something awful. I'm hoping it'll be dried out enough this weekend to get that done.

This shot is of the 30 some odd raspberry plants I put in the ground last month. They are starting to green up, so they stand out against the fence.

My plan is to put stepping stones along the raspberries to help keep a nice path to the berries.

8 comments:

Gino said...

raspberry jam for everybody,soon?

Jade said...

Jam is one of my plans, presuming the plants produce enough for that :)

PeppyPilotGirl said...

No shame in having help! Here's hoping the fence serves its purpose!

Brightdreamer said...

Hmm... dunno if I should tell you, but the weather guys are mumbling about snowflakes possibly being sighted this weekend (today being April 16)... just FYI...

Gino said...

i'm thinkin...
this garden really could have used that garter snake i caught.

Jade said...

Brightdreamer... Yeah... I'm watching the weather report. My apologies to you and your family - the snow is all my fault. I shouldn't have posted "I think the snow is gone from the forecast for the season"

*hangs head in shame*

Gino - A snake would be great... I've been trying to create habitat for snakes in my yard to keep the mouse population down, but I have yet to see one of those fun critters. We do have owls that hunt at night though... that's rather cool.

Brightdreamer said...

I've always thought snakes were kinda cool, myself; we used to catch them when I was a kid. Actually, I believe garter snakes also eat slugs, which is Good, especially if you've seen what a slug can do to a hosta in a day. (Leopard slugs also eat slugs, and banana slugs might eat other slugs - can't remember if they do or not; I cheer 'em on because they're the natives, anyway... ;) )

smileymamaT said...

the stepping stones oughtta look nice. That fence is just what I'd need along the back woods, keep the bear out (although we've never seen him or her).