Monday, May 14, 2007

Bird watching

Here's what I love about wireless internet... sitting on the deck listening to the birds and blogging at the same time :)

During the week last week I got the dirt I needed to fill in the new bed a bit... 3 bags of 3 cubic feet of soil amendment (does that equate to one cubic yard? I don't know... I've never dealt with volume measuerments much) Anyway, after throwing that on the ground I pecked at finishing the trellises (trellisi?) for my plants, but was still wary of putting them out before Mother's Day. Saturday I spent mainly on the roof, blowing it off and scraping the chunks of moss off the shady side. Powertools and heights, what a lovey combination!

That's me on the lowest part of the roof. I'm phobic about heights, but with Dan's bad knee I'd rather be the one to go on the roof. While I was up there I took some shots of the yards... one of the front (which needs massive attention) and the other is a panoramic I stitched together of the back (which I'm proud of!)

(You see why the wind storm last winter made us so on edge... 19 evergreens in the front alone)

So on Mother's Day I finally took the plunge and put my tomato plants in the ground... at least the store bought ones. I also planted the zucchini that Gayle started from seeds at school. My seedlings are still indoors as I decide where exactly to put them. I have been taking them out to get some fresh air a few times, but the cucumbers didn't seem to like it last week so I'm reluctant to plant them just yet.
Alright, the finished garden beds, with tomato plants...





The nursary had an amazing assortment of tomato plants, all started at a place on Vashon Island, so I bought one of each of the most interesting sounding and I figure we'll see how it goes. Here is the rundown of the plants and the short descriptions of them on the tags:
Taxi Tomato: baseball sized yellow fruit
Viva Italia: Roma
Stupice: extra early, cold tolerant
Patio Tomato: compact size good for containers
Tommy Toe: Yeilds hundreds of apricot sized fruit, won Australian trial in competition with 100 other varieties"
Yellow Currant: tiny fruits with crisp tart flavor
Sweet Baby Girl: very sweet red cherry compact indeterminant plant
Sungold - hybrid indeterminant

My neighbors grew Sungold last year and had good results, so that was a big goal of mine this year was to find one. Also, the gardening expert around here, Ciscoe, recommends Stupice, so I picked up one of those too. Everything else I was just excited about from the tags. I have my starts still inside the house, and they are so piddly compared to what I've planted that I wonder if I'll ever get anything from them, but I'm considering sticking a couple out in the garden just to see what happens.

2 comments:

smileymamaT said...

Coooool panoramic photo. Your yard is gorgeous. That roof-n-power tools thing...i dunno 'bout that... :) Love the tomato setup. I dug up the flower garden and soon as I recover from THAT, I'm diggin' up the veggie garden! Muscles, get ready!!

smileymamaT said...

Well, I just read your other blog, the whole steppin-in situation, but there was no place to leave a comment!! I just had to say, Wow. Good for you, Hey, somebody had to say it, might as well be you! I'd do the same!
T